This page contains useful tips, resources and links for teaching bilingual pupils in primary schools.
Guide for Class Teachers (2393 downloads) 10 point Guide from Aberdeen City EAL Service
The Importance of Names (2475 downloads) 10 point Guide from Aberdeen City EAL ServiceSuggestions for Supporting EAL Pupils in Class (1218 downloads)
Support Strategies for Primary EAL pupils from ASL Service Edinburgh support-strategies-booklet-primary.pdf (769 downloads)
Teaching Bilinguals Leaflet from Bilingualism Matters, University of Edinburgh School of Philosophy, Psychology and Languages Sciences.
Eal Strategies – This website, authored by a former EAL teacher from the London Borough of Brent, contains a wealth of resources to be used by teachers to support EAL pupils. The author has also delivered training and worked with leadership to develop action plans for whole school development.
Information and resources from NALDIC, the National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum and the national subject association for EAL.
- EAL guidance from NALDIC and others to help you with teaching EAL and bilingual learners
- FAQS Podcasts from NALDIC “covering typical questions related to catering for the needs of EAL learners.”
- Resources and articles to support teaching English to primary and secondary EAL learners
- Why get EAL learners to write in their first language if I can’t read and understand it? On this page you can find a podcast from NALDIC which discusses this question.
Oxford Reading Tree – Key stage words with visuals. Useful for flashcards and sentence building. (from Highland EAL Service)
- Stage 1 words and visuals
- Stage 2 words and visuals
- Stage 3 words and visuals
- Stage 4 words and visuals
- Stage 5 words and visuals