Parents’ Guide to the Google Classroom – download here 2020-Parents-Guide-to-Google-Classroom.pptx (103503 downloads)
How can pupils submit work on the Google Classroom? Click here.
Covid 19 Learning support from the British Council – How can you learn at home?
Home Learning This has been developed a lot by teachers during the 2020-2021 Covid Pandemic when schools had to be shut. During this time, Aberdeen City Council EAL Service developed a sub site for Secondary Students that can be accessed via the hyperlink ACC SECONDARY HOME LEARNING or by going back to the HOME page and following the link from there.
www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize – good for all subjects.
Websites with interactive activities
- BBC Learning English – courses and activities at different levels
- Improve your language skills links to websites to improve your English. From Glasgow ESOL Forum
- British Council Learn English – lots of activities for you to practice your English vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing and listening at all levels
- British Council Learn English Teens
- British Council Learn English Kids
- Premier Skills English – Do you like football? This website is for you. You will learn about football and improve your English
- https://www.englishclub.com/Covers all four skills. It has activities, quizzes and tasks for reading, listening, and writing.
- Agenda Web – lots of vocabulary and grammar exercises
- OUP English File Student Sites
- Learn English Online
- The English Hub for Refugees – useful for anyone who is learning English
|READworks This is a good website that will help with reading, comprehension and other English skills. It is free. Parents can sign up along with their children. As it can be linked up to Google Classroom teachers can use it to set assignments and monitor progress.|
|https://stories.audible.com/start-listen.All stories are free to stream on your desktop, laptop, phone or tablet.|
World Stories – stories in 31 languages from around the world. This is FREE. The collection includes retold traditional tales and new short stories in the languages most spoken by UK children. Stories to read and sound recordings.
They are adding new stories, translations, pictures and sound recording every week. Keep coming back to find new stories.
Akan, Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Danish, English, Farsi, Filipino, French, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hindi, Italian, Javanese, Kannada, Korean, Mandarin, Pashto, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu, Welsh, Yoruba, Zulu
There are also resources available for teachers.
Days, months and seasons
Date and time
Feelings and emotions
- BBC Skillswise provides a fun way of learning grammar through videos, games, factsheets and worksheets.
- BBC grammar challenge helps language learners use tricky grammatical structures. Every programme is downloadable as an mp3 and features an expert commentary on that week’s grammar.
- English Page – provides explanations and examples making this resource a good way to improve your vocabulary and perfect your grammar.
- http://www.elllo.org/ – This is a website for listening. There are different videos on different topics. Under the video there is the script, new vocabulary, and a quiz tab. There are video and audio lessons.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/features/witn (intermediate level) News clips with vocabulary tasks. Archived now but might not be too outdated. A link will take you to their updated version of this but the vocabulary tasks are not as good.
- Randall’s ESL Cyber Listening Lab is a great resource for teachers to get ideas for lessons practising listening skills however it is also a fantastic self study tool for learners.
- Lyricstraining is the new way to learn English through music and the lyrics of your favourite songs at 4 different levels.
Longman’s Online Dictionary is a really great dictionary for more advanced learners of English. It gives examples of how to use words and shows which words go together well. It also tells you whether words are formal or informal.
Dicts.info is a free dictionary project which offers a number of resources including:
- Basic vocabulary -Basic vocabulary of about 2000 basic meanings organized into topics and translated into many languages .
- Bilingual dictionaries – Dictionaries are grouped by language.
- Picture dictionary – Contains more than 2500 illustrations with translations in more than 50 languages.
- Flashcards for basic vocabulary
- Vocabulary trainer
A simple game that allows you to test your knowledge and learn new words.
- Many other resources also available