Going to School in the UK – website with lots of information to help you.
Longman’s Online Dictionary is a really great dictionary for more advanced learners of English. It gives examples of how to use words and shows which words go together well. It also tells you whether words are formal or informal.
Dicts.info is a free dictionary project which offers a number of resources including:
- Basic vocabulary -Basic vocabulary of about 2000 basic meanings organized into topics and translated into many languages .
- Bilingual dictionaries – Dictionaries are grouped by language.
- Picture dictionary – Contains more than 2500 illustrations with translations in more than 50 languages.
- Flashcards for basic vocabulary
- Vocabulary trainer
A simple game that allows you to test your knowledge and learn new words.
- Many other resources also available
Websites with interactive activities
- Improve your language skills links to websites to improve your English. From Glasgow ESOL Forum
- British Council Learn English – lots of activities for you to practice your English vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing and listening at all levels
- British Council Learn English Teens
- Premier Skills English – Do you like football? This website is for you. You will learn about football and improve your English
- Linguascope – You will need to ask your teacher for a password for this one.
- Agenda Web – lots of vocabulary and grammar exercises
- OUP English File Student Sites
English Space Provides over 60 hours of interactive lesson materials specifically designed for UK EAL pupils of secondary school age.
ESOL Scotland has compiled a list of websites which can help you with your English language learning.
Resources to practice the following vocabulary and grammar items.Food and Drink
Days, months and seasons
Date and time
- Physical description
- Describing people’s appearance 1
- Describing people’s appearance 2
- Describing people’s appearance 3
Feelings and emotions