Resources and articles to support teaching English to primary and secondary EAL learners from NALDIC – the National Association for Language Development in the Curriculum
Aberdeen-EAL-simplified-resources.docx (800 downloads) – a list of adapted resources available on request from Aberdeen City EAL Service. Contact us for more information.
World Stories is a collection of short stories including traditional tales and new short stories from around the world both in English and other languages.
VOCABULARY and Grammar Woodward English is a site that helps students improve Grammar and Vocabulary.
READworks Readworks is a nonprofit website with the mission to support the growth of successful, joyful readers. It has a large, high quality library of nonfiction and fiction passages , along with reading comprehension and vocabulary supports, text-dependent question sets, teacher guidance, and more! Readworks can be linked up to Google Classroom and you can drop resources directly into your Google Classroom for students to complete.
Aberdeen EAL Service Secondary Home Learning pages. Elsewhere on this website, there is a section on home learning for Secondary EAL students. You can navigate to by clicking this link SECONDARY HOME LEARNING or navigating via our HOME page.
The following sites are free, online tools that can help you work with PDF, DocX, PPT (and many more )files. You can edit files, translate files into other languages and much more. (One point to note: if working with a MS Word Document save it to the latest DOCX format.)
Site 1 DeftPDF (limited for Arabic, also if your file is very long ( after about 10,000 characters) they start charging you per character but great for most sheets, resources, small booklets) )
Site 2 ONLINE TRANSLATE
OTHER RESOURCES AND DOWNLOADS:
TWINKL Twinkl is a subscription website (Aberdeen EAL Service has a subscription). It has many resources for all level of abilities from Primary 1 to Secondary 4 in many languages. If you want a resource on a particular topic, please speak to the EAL teacher attached to your school. They will be able to help you.
The following resources included simplified versions of commonly used English texts and other resources for use with EAL pupils. Most of them come from the Bell Foundation EAL NEXUS website which provides some excellent resources and ideas for working with EAL pupils.
- An Inspector Calls Act 1
- An Inspector Calls Act 2
- An Inspector Calls Act 3
- An Inspector Calls – dictogloss
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
- Dulce-et-Decorum-Est-Understanding-the-poem-with-pictures-1.docx (262 downloads)
- Dulce-et-Decorum-Est-Pictures.docx (207 downloads)
- Dulce-et-decorum-est-Exploring-the-content-by-paraphrasing-speech-bubbles.docx (210 downloads)
- Dulce-et-decorum-est-Exploring-the-content-by-paraphrasing-1.docx (184 downloads)
- Dulce-et-Decorum-Est-Vocabulary.docx (209 downloads)
- Frankenstein Synopsis-and-vocabulary-sheet-1.docx (283 downloads)
- Frankenstein-quiz-for-synopsis.ppt (243 downloads)
- Frankenstein-family-tree.pptx (238 downloads)
- Hamlet Act 1
- Hamlet Act 2
- Hamlet Act 3
- Hamlet Act 4
- Hamlet Act 5
- Hamlet – appearance and reality
- Hamlet characters – Barrier Game
- Hamlet – plot and characters
- Holes – chapter summaries and character profiles
- Holes – activities
- Macbeth Act 1
- Macbeth Act 2
- Macbeth Act 3
- Macbeth Act 4
- Macbeth Act 5
- Macbeth – Storyboard
- Macbeth – Cluedo
- Macbeth – Character activity
- Private Peaceful – Adapted novel for EAL (895 downloads)
- Private Peaceful – Trenches-vocabulary.pdf (259 downloads)
- Private Peaceful – Activities on the text (785 downloads)
- Romeo and Juliet Storyboard
- Romeo and Juliet Act 1
- Romeo and Juliet Act 2
- Romeo and Juliet Act 3
- Romeo and Juliet Act 4
- Romeo and Juliet Act 5
- Romeo and Juliet – Connect 4
- Romeo and Juliet – Quote Bank
- Romeo and Juliet – Character Activity
- Stone Cold
- The Tempest Act 1
- The Tempest Act 2
- The Tempest Act 3
- The Tempest Act 4
- The Tempest Act 5
- The Tempest – Connect 4
- The Tempest quote bank
- The Tempest – character activity
- The Tempest – plot and characters
- The Tempest – characters barrier game
- Propaganda posters
TES Resources TES Resources, many of which have been adapted for EAL, can be downloaded. Whilst many are free, a number now charge a small fee. It is worth having a look at the site and seeing if any are useful for your needs.
Here are some of the more popular downloads:
- An Inspector Calls
- George’s Marvellous Medicine – adapted for EAL pupils
- Of Mice and Men – illustrated plot summary and worksheets.
- Private Peaceful – simplified EAL version with visuals and additional tasks
- Polish summary of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas and glossary of keywords.
- Polish translated character list for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Resources from the Trinity Immigration Initiative to support the teaching and learning of EAL pupils in the mainstream English classroom. These are designed for the Irish Education System, but many of the topics may well be useful in the Scottish Education System.
English Topic – Improving writing and debating skills (Black & White)
English Topic – Paper 1 Composition
Resources for Polish pupils ( Highland EAL Service)
Polish Resources from Wokingham Borough Council
Arabic Resources from Wokingham Borough Council
|English – Biographies and Autobiographies (350KB)||Download|
|English – Vocabulary related to Information Books (69KB)||Download|
The Language of Exams – resources produced by the Trinity Immigration Initiative to help prepare EAL pupils for exams in a variety of subjects.