ESOL means “English for Speakers of Other Languages”.
Facebook: A new Facebook page has been created under Learning English in Aberdeen. We are inviting everyone to befriend this page to receive notifications and news regarding available resources to learn or practice English in Aberdeen. Organised by GREC (Grampian Regional Equality Council)
ESOL for Work – These English classes are aiming to help people to improve their employability (improve their English for work) and learn about the world of work in Aberdeen and Scotland. Courses run all throughout the year and in order to register your interest you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively follow us on Facebook at Learning English in Aberdeen (Link: https://www.facebook.com/LearnEnglishAberdeen/
SUNNYBANK COMMUNITY CENTRE
Classes for Beginners and Improvers English
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: Wilma on 01224 261727
- Facebook: Sunnybank.Community.Centre
NORTH-EAST SCOTLAND COLLEGE run full and part-time ESOL courses (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- Information about ESOL at North-East Scotland College
- Information & Booking Centre: Tel 01224 612330
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
INTERNATIONAL HOUSE is a private English school in Union Street, Aberdeen. They run a variety of courses.
- Website: http://www.ihaberdeen.com/
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: 01224 634006
ABERDEEN UNIVERSITY LANGUAGE CENTRE run part-time General English classes, as well as IELTS courses.
- Website: http://www.abdn.ac.uk/languagecentre/courses/part-time-english-courses/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 01224 272537 / 272538
POLISH ASSOCIATION run English classes.
LEARN ENGLISH ONLINE
Online resource Welcome Package: Learn English for living and working in Scotland from ESOL Scotland
You can get free email lessons on the British Council ESOL Nexus website. “Improve your English with help from this free website from the British Council with videos, listening activities, texts and grammar exercises for ESOL learners at every level.”
- Skills: interactive activities to improve your speaking, listening, writing and reading.
- Grammar and vocabulary
- UK Life: information about living and working in the UK.
- English for Work. In this section you will learn new language and vocabulary specific to different types of jobs.
Agenda Web – Lots of online vocabulary and grammar exercises
Here are other useful websites to learn English:
- Language learning for migrants – European Commission
- Language Support for Adult Refugees – Council of Europe
- Online Linguistic Support for Refugees – Erasmus+
- ESOL Nexus – British Council
- ESOL Excellence Gateway – Education and Training Foundation
- Learn English Online – Learn English Network
- Learning English – BBC
And here are some useful websites to prepare for interviews:
Online resources for learning English – information from ESOL Scotland
Dicts.info is a free dictionary project which offers a number of resources including:
- Basic vocabulary -Basic vocabulary of about 2000 basic meanings organized into topics and translated into many languages .
- Bilingual dictionaries – Dictionaries are grouped by language.
- Picture dictionary – Contains more than 2500 illustrations with translations in more than 50 languages.
- Flashcards for basic vocabulary
- Vocabulary trainer
A simple game that allows you to test your knowledge and learn new words.
- Many other resources also available